Saturday, July 10, 2010

Last summer every Saturday was rainy....



It's a rainy Saturday and I'm quite happy to be stuck inside. It means that I'm not outside languishing in the rain at a swim meet like last summer. It also means my husband is stuck inside finally finishing a baseboard project that was started over a year ago. I'm happy for the rain.

Our first full week of summer holidays (for the kids).It definitely feels like summer should. The weather has been stellar. Every Maritimer is afraid that when the rain comes, the sun might not return. The last couple of summers have been very soggy, so our anxiety is understandable.

The cake in the photo above was an iPhone cake I made for my sister-in-law's birthday(of the Falcon Run Tullochs). It had been ages since I had made a decorative cake for anyone. When the kids were younger and I seemed to have more time in my home (due to nap requirements--of children, not me), I churned out multiple cakes per week depending upon the time of year. What happened to that domestic diva? I think I've been on a sabbatical. For about three years.

Traditionally in my former life, this first week of summer used to be long and drawn-out, but with many beach trips and outdoor adventures. Compared to those summers past, this first week I was trying to juggle parenting (when I could squeeze it in), running a segment of a ringette skills camp, tending to my part-time job as a communications-type and.....well, domestic diva never even made it on the radar.

One could say I've managed to have it all (including an extremely disorganized house), but often by having it all, I'm not sure what it is that I want the most! That's the trouble with being blessed, you often complain about your blessings.

My two eldest go away to camp this week and I really don't want them to go. Not only does it mean I'm left with their brother on my own (yikes!), but I feel like we haven't had enough time together lately for them to leave me. I have a feeling this will be a recurring theme for the rest of their lives and I just have to learn to suck it up.

This week's mission....take some summer time pictures other than birthday cakes, because it means I've taken the time to smell the roses, and count my blessings.

No comments: